Bad Breakfast Friday was one of many rituals I had in the corporate world to keep me from losing my mind.
Every Friday I would have a sleep-in and get to the office around 8.45am. Before I got to the office, I’d buy a white bread sandwich with two fried eggs and BBQ sauce, with two hash browns on the side, and a can of coke zero. It was my reward for making it through the week without going postal.
My friends and colleagues were wonderfully tolerant about this mess of a Friday breakfast (and probably a bit amused at my anal-retentive behaviour and my routines).
Since I’ve stopped working in offices, I don’t have these bad breakfasts anymore. I’ve taken to making one for myself. It’s on the healthier side when you’re a vegan, but still tastes naughty and delicious.
1 tofu sausage (the rosemary and garlic sanitarium ones in Australia are fantastic. Here in Canada I use tofurky sausages from Loblaws).
Pre-made caramelized onions (but you could just fry up onions yourself)
Three slices of tomato.
1 Whole Wheat Tortilla Wrap.
1. Start with your potato rosti. This can take ages if, like me, you don’t have a good non-stick frypan.
2. Peel and grate your potato.
3. Rinse the grated potato in a colander and squeeze out as much of the water as you can.
4. Use rice bran oil, a good oil spray, or Earth Balance butter and get your pan nice and coated.
5. Throw the grated potato in and cook on medium heat with a spatula. I like to make sure all of the potato gets coated with the butter or oil, and I cook it for about 10 minutes.
6. Shape the potato into a circle, and turn the heat down to low-medium. Cook for 10 minutes, then flip and cook for 10 on the other side.
1. I like to cut my sausage into rounds before I cook it, but you can keep it in the sausage shape.
2. When you flip your rosti, you can start cooking your tofu sausage on medium to high heat for about 10 minutes. These burn very easily, so keep an eye on it and keep flipping.
3. Take off the heat and let sit with the rosti.
Assembling your wrap
1. Heat your whole wheat tortilla wrap in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
2. Slather on HP sauce.
3. Sit your rounds on the sauce, your rosti and caramelized onions, then your sliced tomato.
4. Roll up wrap and Enjoy!
You can connect with South Nomad, Jessica over at Google+.