Nachos with home-made salsa
North Nomad and I have very few dishes we can share. So few, that most days of the week I am preparing six meals per day (that is, when I am pestering North Nomad not to eat chicken nuggets every day!).
But there is one dish we have in common that we both love: nachos.
And the best part about this dish, is that North Nomad can make it himself, so I have the night off from cooking AND a delicious meal prepared for me!
We do still have two separate portions, as there are some slight modifications for me. I have shredded Daiya cheddar cheese (vegan cheese) on mine, and North Nomad sticks with the usual shredded Kraft Tex Mex pack. And I seem to have gone off store bought salsa, so I’m making my own lately.
Tosito’s Restaurant Style Corn Chips, large pack.
1 handful of shredded Daiya vegan cheese
1 handful of shredded Kraft Tex Mex cheese
1 tub of Tosito’s salsa.
1-2 cups of home-made salsa (recipe below)
- 1 cup of crushed tomatoes (canned)
- ½ large tomato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed.
- ½ white onion
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno (or if none handy, use a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes for heat, add as much or little as you like)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- Salsa Preparation: Throw in blender and pulse for 30 seconds – it’s that simple. If you don’t have a blender, or you prefer chunky salsa, you can simply dice the tomato, garlic, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro, and fold it into the crushed tomatoes, juice and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/176 degrees Celsius.
- Line two baking trays with aluminium foil. We like the stick proof stuff for nachos.
- Scatter equal amounts of corn chips over both trays. Over the vegan one, spread generous handfuls of Daiya cheddar cheese. On the “normal” one, spread generous handfuls of Kraft shredded cheese.
- Heap half a tub of Tosito’s salsa on the “normal” nachos. Reserve home-made salsa for once the vegan nachos have cooked.
- Put the nacho trays in the oven. The “normal” ones can cook for about five minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Cook the vegan ones for about ten minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Top the vegan nachos with as much (or as little) salsa as desired.
Salsa recipe makes two cups of salsa.
You can connect with South Nomad, Jessica over at Google+.